League Of Legends Community BLOWS!

   

What's up gamers? If you are like me, you love gaming. If you are even more like me, you are disgustingly addicted to League Of Legends. I recently started playing this game this year, and it is incredible amounts of fun, however, there is one catch...

THE COMMUNITY BLOWS!!!

    League Of Legends is a MOBA (massive online battle arena) game, that is is based on teams of three or five, and surrounds a set of unspoken rules called the "meta". The current meta consists of certain champion types going to certain map locations, or lanes. I won't bore you with the details, but it is a very team-centric game. You MUST cooperate with your teammates in order to win. Sounds great right? WRONG.

    Often times players will choose less than ideal champions for specific lanes on the map. This in itself isn't a big deal, but it can often times cause serious issues within the team dynamic. This can cause in game fighting, within a team, which can typically snowball into a quick loss. This is just one aspect of the community. It seems that even in the most simple aspects of the game, people cannot cooperate, and this is at champion select, the game hasn't even started.

    In all online games, there is a community. Some games have very nice communities, where the players help one another. Some do not. I believe that mankind has a sort of "follow the herd" mentality that most people do not even notice. In the real world, different parts of the world have different cultures, and gaming is the same. World of Warcraft for instance, has barren chat, which is riddled with people make Chuck Norris jokes for hours on end. Call of Duty has a quickscoping community, which has it's own set of rules and lingo. League Of Legends also has it's own set of rules and lingo as well.

    The LoL community is a few years old. I am relatively new to the game, but have played it many many hours. Like any community, in the real world, or online, there are trends that move from person to person, that end up being typical behavior. I have noticed, that the LoL community totally accepts what is called "toxic" behavior, people being rude, mean, and just all around crappy people. It is actually sad, because if the trend does not quell, I think that it can adversely impact this games future.

Typical League Of Legends game scenario

The champion select goes something like this:
Summoner 1: I want middle lane
Summoner 2: F**K you I'm middle
Summoner 1: Whatever we can both go mid, idc. Noob.
Summoner 2: Okay middle or feed. Reporting you.
Summoner 1: whatever I have another account I don't care if I get banned.

Now this doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but in this scenario it will actually effect the entire game, and all players on this team. This scenario typically ends in a loss for the other three players on the team, regardless of how well they play or how much they try to cooperate. This is unfortunate, but it has almost become acceptable to just be a jerk in this game.

Here is an example of an in game scenario:
Summoner 1: OMG noob stop feeding.
Summoner 2: STFU if you would help me I wouldn't be dying
Summoner 1: Can't help you, you are a noob.
Summoner 2: Your stats suck so bad. FML why do I always get stuck with idiot noobs
Summoner 1: F off I am better than you
Summoner 2 ( in all chat to the enemy team and ally team): This guy says he's better than me LOL WHAT A NOOB!!

In this scenario, the team that is arguing here, will typically lose. This is almost standard practice. If someone makes a mistake, no matter how big or small, there is a very high chance that there will be at least one person, if not multiple players that will call it out and criticize it, regardless if you are winning or losing. This accomplishes nothing other than upsetting the individual getting criticized.

    In short, the community has some serious issues, and I do not know if it is possible to repair it. In the real world, major social change has taken major efforts by some seriously influential people. Does this community have anyone that is willing to step up and take the challenge? Are there any pro players that are willing to work toward change? I want the LoL community to be a more enjoyable place to spend my time. I challenge any of you reading this to think before you act, and to the nice people in this game, I thank you!

1 comment:

  1. League of legends accounts for sale Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete